Thursday, April 19, 2018

Icy April

Seriously Mother Nature?

Icy front walk at this time of year! And no, my gardening buddies, that's not a real geranium - it's fake.  I needed a pop of colour to brighten up our looooong winter. Ice was dripping from the table yesterday, which would have made for a more dramatic pic, but I couldn't step outdoors. Freezing rain was harsh and the porch slippery.
Can you guess why there is a path of ice from the rocks guarding my deck to the tree? The answer is not very pretty - septic field. For those not experienced in a septic system, the water runs frequently (showers, toilet flushing, faucets) which warms the earth above, melting the snow, which then freezes. 

Rock garden looks funny with a layer of ice on top. If you look closely,  you can see a splat of green that belongs to a hardy boxwood. It's sitting at the foot of the shepherd's crook (which I hang my hummingbird feeder on in summertime), bringing a bit of hope to the cold landscape.
My poor crocuses are frozon in their beds. It was too icy for me to go outside and take a pic. But I'm sure you can visualize a crocus popsicle! Purple to be accurate. :-)


5 comments:

Celia said...

Oh, poor purple crocus. We're luckier here. The snow creeps up and down the foothills but hasn't come to town in quite awhile. Spring has been reluctant this yer.

mxtodis123 said...

This has been one cold spring, for sure. We don't have the icy sidewalks, but we do have cold temps. With the wind chills they say it feels like it is in the 20's. I would really love to be able to say I've seen the last of my winter jacket. Be careful on that ice.

Anvilcloud said...

It all changes this weekend, starting today although today won't be much better.

Cheryl said...

Oh Wendy,
What a Winter. The world is changing, the weather seems to become more erratic each year.
Hopefully the warm front will reach you soon.
Poor crocus.

thanida said...

I Really like your good infomation,Thanks and please keep sharing it with us.
tbsbet