Monday, January 1, 2018

January 1, 2018 - Supermoon








The biggest Supermoon of 2018 rose at sunset today January 1st and will set at sunrise tomorrow morning - January 2nd. It will be the largest and brightest full moon of 2018.

This Wolf Moon was named by the Early Native American tribes because it was at this time of year packs of animals would howl outside their camps.

This second full moon in a Supermoon trilogy started with the Cold Moon on December 3, 2017.

The third Supermoon will be on January 31st, and since that's the second full moon in the month, it's called a Blue Moon.
Go figure.

All I know is it's freezing outside this evening, but that didn't stop me from bundling up, slipping on warm boots and heading out to gaze at that huge, golden orb hanging low in the eastern sky.  It was breathtaking!

Wish I could have taken a pic, but honestly, I don't take moon pics well (as I mentioned a couple of posts back). But that's fine.  This one from the Farmer's Almanac was perfect!

I hope you have an opportunity to step outdoors and catch a glimpse as she weaves through winter clouds, or embrace her full, clear, magnificent face as she lights up the sky and earth below in a celebration of a brand new year.

Happy New Year Everyone!

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Happy 2018 Wendy,

Clear skies last night allowed me to view the super moon in all her glory,
The garden was so light I could have gardened.
I am a moon person.

Celia said...

Happy New Year Wendy. My moon pictures are lacking but we had thick gray skies last night so not even the glow was visible. Still it was beautiful out. Everything white and clean. Thanks for stopping by my page, I'd been thinking about you. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

That moon looks awesome!

I wish you much happiness!

Anvilcloud said...

Another very cold day today and tomorrow. Stay warm in the next province over. That's a super image of a super moon.

Lowcarb team member said...

I love that image ...
Happy New Year Wishes

All the best Jan

Rose said...

Wishing you a very Happy New Year, Wendy! I saw the moon on New Year's--simply beautiful!